Monday, August 26, 2013

WIthout Hesitation


I have never been the quick-witted person with an answer at the tip of my tongue before someone else could finish their sentence. If thrown into a spontaneous battle of words, I likely would flail and stumble all over myself. I would huff and repeat a series of “Oh yeah, well, oh yeah!” I was always the kid who thought of the funny one-liners hours after the fact, or I would wake up in the night with belated banter spitting from my mouth. I guess you could say I am a “processer.” I take time to chew on things before coming to conclusions or points of action.

That being said, I have lately been prompted in my spirit to go ahead and “pre-process” some things.  I am reading an amazing book called “Hindsfeet in High Places.” It is a tender allegory that strikes my heart with incredible precision. A woman named “Much-Afraid” lives in the valley with her family of Fearings, and is called by the chief shepherd to travel to the high places. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that nearly every sentence on each page is brimming with rich symbolism, life-lessons, and practical application.

Early on in the book, Much-Afraid says “YES” to the Chief Shepherd as He invites her to the experience love, find new identity, and travel to the high places. His assignment is that she gets her house in order, and then waits for his arrival and call.  When she is bombarded by Fearing family members, she is trapped and left captivated with terror. The Shepherd passes her house, calling for her to join him, but she hesitates…

Oh, how her hesitation broke my heart. I wanted to scream at the pages, “Go! Just do it! Don’t delay! This is your moment!”

I wonder if the angels are yelling that in my own ears from time to time.

How incredible would it be if I walked through life with heightened spiritual awareness? If I consistently responded to God’s whisper without the slightest hesitation?

How many times has God walked by my door, singing the song of invitation, and I held my breath with indecision?

I pray that I won’t coast through life, more concerned with tasks and less with people.  I pray that the quiet nudges from the Holy Spirit would be revered with authoritative power. If even to bring up conversation with neighbors, or new friends, or speak a work of encouragement, or give generously without reason. If He tells me to drive a different way home, or buy groceries in a different store. I will trust in HIS purposes over my comfort and routine.

Today, I choose to pre-process, to decide in advance, to walk in boldness and confidence as I recognize the voice of the Shepherd. I don’t want to have to be told twice.  Today I choose to walk in the awareness of His Spirit, poised and ready for His desires and calling on my life.


“My sheep listen to my voice, I know them, and they follow me.” – John 10:27 (NLT)

1 comment:

Post a Comment