Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Higher than We think...

I have an awesome son. He's three and I have enjoyed watching his imagination develop. He loves to play pretend games with action figures. Anything from monster cars, Toy Story figurines, or the recently prized G.I. Joes. I noticed something the other day. Whenever my son plays a game, he is always in the middle of a life-and-death epic battle where the universe's fate lies in the hands of a little boy and his toys.

I hear things like:
>> "Oh no! He's been trapped! Save him! Save him!"
>> Evil laughter from the Cobras or other stand-in bad guy.
>> "He's getting away!"
>> "I will stop him!"
>> Lots of flying and shooting sound effects.
>> Usually a fair amount of "dying/injured" sound effects as well.

.........................

I have never once seen my son engage in an aristocratic tea party where the toys share their feelings or talk about the weather. In my son's imaginary play, the world is fast paced, dangerous, and always needing a Heroic Savior.
..........................

Over the past few weeks I have noticed how different women are from men. When I want to relax with a movie, there are many times when I want something light, happy, and humorous with as few tears as possible. Whenever my husband chooses a movie, this top options usually include war-like conflict, suspense, and grandiose battles. (This is not a rule- I love my share of sci-fi and suspense flicks, and Luke can totally get into a good chick-flick.) The fact is, I am more often than not, totally satisfied with a movie that has little to no true conflict. Guys, though, would be bored out of their mind.
.........................

All this makes me wonder... how does the church fall into place with these observations? Have we catered to the easy-going, peaceful romantic side of the faith so much that we have lost the guys interest? We sing love songs to Jesus. We have low lit settings with candles and smooth music. Has the message of Christ and the portrayed image of Christ leaned so far that people miss the warrior within our Savior?
.........................

SO, OFTEN, when I get ready to worship in a corporate setting, OR speak to a group of people, I become so aware of the SPIRITUAL BATTLE that it just pumps me up. I get a fresh wave of energy, and the only thing I can liken it to is the feel a Boxer might get right before they enter the ring for a huge match.

THERE IS A BATTLE GOING ON... The enemy is warring for our souls, and he would love for us to keep church as peaceful and oblivious as possible. I believe MEN would step up in leadership more if they understood HOW HIGH THE STAKES were. When we downplay things, we aren't doing any favors for anyone. But the Stakes ARE high. Marriages are on the brink of divorce. Teenagers are bombarded by drugs, alcohol, and sex. Children think Jesus is just a "nice" man who gives out candy at the end of Sunday School. College Students are falling away. People are consumed with self-promotion and the American dream.... need I go on?

The STAKES are HIGH! Lives, all across our globe, are at stake.

May we, in the church, not be so distracted by practical how-to, try-harder teachings that we forget the GLORIOUS, OUTRAGIOUS POWER beheld by our God and distributed TO us, and IN us by the Holy Spirit.

"We also pray that you will be strengthened with all His glorious POWER so you will have all the endurance and patience you need." (Colossians 1:11)

"I want to know Christ and experience the mighty POWER that raised Him from the dead." (Philippians 3:10)

"Only by your POWER can we push back our enemies, only in your name can we trample our foes." (Psalm 44:5)

"For the Kingdom of God is not just a lot of talk, it is living by God's POWER." ( 1 Corinthians 4:20)

"And God will raise us from the dead by His POWER, just as He raised our Lord from the dead." (1 Corinthians 6:14)

"We faithfully preach the truth.God's POWER is working IN us. We use the weapons of
righteousness in the right hand for attack and left hand for defense." (2 Corinthians 6:7)

"I pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God's POWER for us who believe in Him. This is the same mighty POWER that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God's right hand in the heavenly realms." (Ephesians 1:19-20)

Hundreds of verses refer to God's power and many others that reveal His plan to Glorify Himself through US with his Power at work IN US. WHY would the Bible talk about God's Greatness and Power so much if the stakes were not so high? The Adversary is working hard, but is NO MATCH for our GOD.

I pray that Christian Leaders will awaken the hearts of the people to battle at hand, and the POWER placed IN our hands. As believers and followers of Christ, let's walked EMPOWERED by the Spirit of the LIVING God to bring glory to His Name TODAY!

I can't wait for my son to grow up and see that the battles he has played out in the bath-tub or under his bed are nothing compared to the battle God is calling him to be part of for the glory of Jesus Christ for all eternity. He is gonna be stoked! And I am sure he will still be making all the same great sound effects, too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Tiffany! Such a great post!

Ryan said...

It's an interesting point and its something I don't think many people consider. To be completely honest the whole soft-music, candles and romance aspect--which has more or less taken over and outshone everything else--is discouraging. Many people (myself included) would take a different perspective, where all that stuff is important but is not the entirety of the faith; where there is more to knowing God than singing soft songs in candlelight and feeling romanced. All of that stuff seems foreign and empty by itself, and it's something that the less emotional among us would struggle with.

Post a Comment