Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Even HERE

Sunday was a fabulous day!

On Sunday, Nov. 21, 2010, I was so blessed to speak at Generations Church and challenge people to OPEN OUR EYES to the horror of human trafficking. It's one thing if we never knew, but it's an entirely different thing if we see the victims "lying on the side of the road" (per The Good Samaritan illustration) and choose to close our eyes with indifference or hope that someone else will deal with the problem.

What a powerful day. I was overwhelmed by the response of the people. SO many had such tender hearts and were eager to get involved. I am so encouraged and excited to raise awareness in our community.... because YES, it even happens here.

I live in Southport, NC. It's a tiny little town, where everything closes at 8pm and everybody knows your name. Praise God for the Super Walmart and 3 Redboxes, or I might go stir crazy. :)

>>> BE AWARE, it has been noted that Human Trafficking and Illegal Drug Trade are tightly intertwined. Many people think that human trafficking would only happen in large urban cities. That is a MYTH. It happens everywhere, and where ever drugs are being dealt, human trafficking is close behind. Basically, people will do horrible things when trying to come up with money for their next fix. They will sell their friend's sister, their daughter-in-law, their cousin, even their own children. If there is an easy target and a desperate addict nearby, it's a dangerous combination.

SO, back to my story in little old Southport. After I shared my message at G.C. on Sunday, a woman sat next to me on the front row with an story that left me in awe. JUST THAT WEEK prior, her two beautiful teenage daughters were in historic downtown Southport (a sweet little area with unique and fun shops right on the waterfront)... they were with a guy friend, and once he left, the girls were approached by a man and woman in a new pick up truck who tried with great effort to get the girls in the truck. The couple said they had a boat and wanted to take the girls on a ride. When the girls declined, the couple persisted with all their might. The girls were caught off guard, so they didn't take proactive precautions (ie getting the license plate number etc), but simply turned them down. When the mother found out, she called a deputy, who immediately went over to the area, but found no one that matched the description.
>>>Oh yes, and did I mention, THIS HAPPENED AT 4:30pm in the afternoon!!

Oh, I was nearly sick to my stomach hearing the story. Yes, this stuff can happen anywhere. YES, we need to make people (and especially our children) AWARE. It can really happen in a small town, without warning, in broad daylight. Yep... Even Here!

....
Here's a link if you wanna watch my message: "Eyes Wide Open." Would love to hear your thoughts and feedback. :)

1 comment:

rsloan said...

Hi Tiffany! I just wanted to let you know that there is another lady here in Brunswick County that is trying to bring attention to the issue of human trafficking. She is affiliated with an organization called StAT. If you want, I can give you her information so you could contact her. Just let me know! I hope you are having an awesome Thanksgiving so far.

Post a Comment