Thursday, November 25, 2010

Where it all began

Where did gratitude come from? The origin? The very very beginning? I found myself wondering on this Thanksgiving morning where it all started...

NO, I have not forgotten the pilgrim stories from my childhood. That's what we call Thanksgiving. But I think there is something deeper that goes further back than any of us could ever remember.

Something in me believes that gratitude is much, much bigger than words, sentimental cards, loads of amazing turkey, trimmings, and a long list of my favorite pies. Gratitude... I think it began when God spoke creation into existence. I can imagine the angels cheering and singing God's praise as He put the finishing touches on our earth with the tenderness of His fingertips. I wonder if the birds and animals and fish and all of creation did not glow with His glory. Perfection. And then when God created us. I wonder if the beauty of those first moments of human life did not ooze with glorious divine splendor?

Gratitude began when God started it all. Thankfulness was birthed when our compassionate Heavenly Father did something for us that we could not do. He creates us. He gave us life. I am sure He knew we would fall, and already had written the story of our redemption. Gratitude is found as we remember how helpless we are without our Maker.

Today I remember that everything I see and know is merely because my God cared enough to dream us up and make His dreams a reality in us and through us.

I am so grateful today. I am thankful for my beautiful family, friends, great health, and God's awesome provision over us all. I am grateful for an infinitely long string of blessings in my life... all of which lead me back to my Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment