Sunday, February 24, 2013

OSCAR NIGHT!!

Tonight is OSCAR NIGHT! I have loved this night of the year for well over a decade.

>> I have loved the glitz and glam of the red carpet garb.

 >> I adore the opening laughs from Billy Crystal, or Whoopie Goldberg, or Steve Martin.

>> I love the tear-filled speeches from the shocked and humbled winners.

>> I really love it when movies that represent hope and triumph win it all. I love it when movies that speak to the depravity of our culture are thrust in the lime light and something in us is compelled to love with open arms.

On this highly anticipated night, I was reminded that my life, as a believer, is a preview of what is to come. The way I trust God, impacts not only me, but others as well. If people see a girl who claims Christianity, and yet at the same time encounters a complainer, whiner, self-focused, depressed, hopeless little girl who is worried all the time... well, what kind of preview is that?

Do people see a big God in me? OR a little God? Do they look at me and see someone full of trust, full of hope, full of joy? 

There are some previews I see and I know from the beginner that I will never waste my $10 to see that one (let alone pay a babysitter so I can go to the movies!) It's usually quite apparent in the movie that it's not worth my time. Sometime it is also obvious that all of the funny parts are jammed into the 60 second trailer, and it would be a huge let down to come back for the feature film.  But then there are those other  previews... the ones that leave me inquisitive, curious, on-edge, excited. Those are the movies that I come back for. Those are the movies where I talk it up with my friends, count down the days, pay the babysitter and make a date night out of it.

I want my life to be that kind of preview. I may have some opposition to face, a few rough patches, or obstacles along the way... but doesn't every great movie?? The best part is I know WHO WINS in the end. I know I am loved by God, created with purpose, and there is HOPE in store for me. And for us all.


1 Peter 3:15

New International Version (NIV)
15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,



So, bring on the popcorn! There is cinema magic going on here! And the story of stories is happening TODAY... but it's not about ME. It's HIS Story. The story of my God, redeeming me, redeeming you, redeeming all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment